Community College Information
SD Community College District
- General: https://www.sdccd.edu/
- San Diego Promise: https://www.sdccd.edu/about/departments-and-offices/student-services-department/promise/
- CCC Apply: http://apply.sdccd.edu/
Grossmont and Cuyamaca College
- General: https://www.grossmont.edu/
- General: https://www.swccd.edu
THE SAN DIEGO PROMISE
The San Diego Promise provides two years of tuition at City, Mesa and Miramar colleges for first-time, full-time students. Leveraging funds provided by the state of California through the California College Promise, and with the support of generous donors, the San Diego Community College District is ensuring that no deserving student is denied access to quality higher education due to lack of resources.
The San Diego Promise started as a pilot program in 2016 with 186 students. The following year, the program expanded to include nearly 700 students. In October 2017, Governor Brown signed Assembly Bill 19. This bill created the California College Promise, a program providing free tuition for one year at California community colleges for full-time students. Funding from this program is expected to significantly bolster our existing San Diego Promise program. As a result, the San Diego Promise will extend the program to some eligible students into their second year.
Today, the San Diego Promise serves as a completion program – one that provides funding for two years of community college education for participating students.
- Be a California resident or AB-540 eligible
- First-time college student
- Register in at least 12 units in Fall and Spring
STEP 1: Apply for College
STEP 2: Apply for Financial Aid
STEP 3: Complete Student Success and Support Program
- Orientation: Information on your orientation will be issued to you after submitting your college application. The orientation is usually divided into two parts – an online orientation information program and a one-on-one meeting with a counselor.
- Assessment: Contact the Assessment Office to schedule your Math and English Assessments test to ensure proper course selection.
- Education Plan: Contact your college counseling office to schedule a meeting to help you make informed choices concerning the programs and courses available. City College Counseling - 619-388-3540; Mesa College Counseling - 619-388-2672; Miramar College Counseling - 619-388-7840.
- For more information fill out our Student Interest Form or visit our Future Students page.
From specialized counseling to help with creating a comprehensive educational plan, and guided educational pathways, the San Diego Community College District is committed to making sure that students participating in the San Diego Promise reach their educational goals.
San Diego Promise participants also receive a variety of support services, including regular meetings with a counselor, participation in workshops, and frequent email reminders to assist them in remaining on track.
Such services are playing a key role with the District having some of the highest student completion rates in the California Community Colleges system and a 45 percent increase in degrees conferred since 2014.
For additional information on the San Diego Promise contact District Outreach at 619-388-6703.