Informational sessions for the 2019-20 school year will begin in October 2019 on Thursdays at 3:15 pm.
e³ Civic High is nonsectarian in its programs, admission policies, employment practices, and all other operations. e³ Civic High will admit all students on a space-available basis. e³ Civic High will not charge tuition and will not discriminate against any student. e³Civic High will be open to all students, including those with special education needs.
All interested families must attend one Orientation Session. Sessions will be held on Thursdays. After attending the orientation session, interested families will submit a paper application for potential enrollment.
Prior to applying for admission to e³ Civic High, the student and parent and/or guardian should complete the following:
Attend Orientation: (Thursdays at 3:45) We invite the student and/or parent/guardian to attend one complete orientation session. These sessions will be held on Thursdays. During the sessions, an еᶾ representative will detail the mission, vision, and program of e³Civic High.
Student Application: At the conclusion of the orientation session, a parent or guardian will be invited to complete and submit a simple, non-discriminatory paper application given at the session. The application should be returned in at the time of the session.
e3 Policy Acknowledgement: Once the student and a parent/guardian are decided on applying for admission, they will be agreeing to abide by all policies and procedures set forth in the e³ Civic High Student Handbook and Digital Use Policy which will be available in both English and Spanish.
If more students have applied during the admission window than the school can accommodate, the school will hold an electronic lottery conducted by Edlio (in Los Angeles) to select names for enrollment to the 9th grade class. For students not selected, they will be automatically placed on the school’s waiting list for the next available slot.
Should e³ Civic High receive more applications from potential students than can be admitted to the 9th grade class, enrollment will be determined by a random electronic (“Lottery”). e³ Civic High will enlist the services of Edlio, an outside agency to monitor and verify the fair execution of all activities related to holding the Lottery using the following rules and procedures, which will be communicated to all interested parties at least thirty (30) days prior to holding the lottery:
- The lottery will take place within thirty (30) days of closing the open enrollment period which will be at least ninety (90) days long.
- The lottery will take place electronically by Edlio in Los Angeles. The list will be submitted to e³ Civic High.
All interested parties will be informed via email, prior to the holding of the lottery, of the total number of openings available at e³Civic High and the number of openings for each grade served by e³ Civic High. If the lottery date requires a change, all families who have expressed an interest will be notified via email.
- Edlio shall verify the fair execution of the Lottery shall and shall confirm in writing the Lottery was conducted fairly, and the school shall keep on record copies of that confirmation.
In accordance with federal non-regulatory guidance, as outlined in Appendix J of the Public Charter Schools Grant Program Request for Application, the lottery will be conducted as a single public lottery with all applicants receiving equal weight and an equal chance of selection.
The 2019 lottery will be held on Thursday, March 14, 2019.
Lottery Exemptions and Preferences
Exemptions and preferences will be offered in the following categories in accordance with reconciliation of state and federal laws as outlined in Appendix J: Matrix of Exemptions and Preferences in the Public Random Drawing (Lottery):
- Children of the Founding Development Team (defined as the small group of people responsible for drafting of documents and for efforts which resulted in the petition being approved and are so listed in Appendix B) or full-time e³ Civic High faculty will be exempted from the lottery and automatically enrolled in e³, limited to no more than 10% of the student body.
- Siblings of students already enrolled in e³ Civic High will be exempted from the lottery and automatically enrolled in e³ Civic High unless the sibling is to enroll in a grade that has all of its spaces already filled. Siblings of students who have their name drawn during the lottery (i.e. both students are applying in the same year) will be exempted from the lottery and automatically enrolled in e³ Civic High unless the sibling is to enroll in a grade that has all of its spaces already filled.
- 3 chances for students residing in the San Diego Unified School District or 1 chance for non-district resident applicants.
- 3 additional chances for students attending or scheduled to attend a Program Improvement School Choice (PISC) school.
Mid Year Enrollment
After the lottery is held and all wait listed students have accepted or declined seats, a new waiting list will be started for admission to the upcoming school year. The school maintains 4 grade level waiting lists (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade lists). Students will be placed on the waiting list according to the corresponding grade level.
All scholars will be placed on the waiting list according to the date that they inquire and complete the e3 Scholar Interest Form. All scholars entering the 10th through 12th grades will need to have a transcript/course review by an e3 Counselor or our Registrar in order to ensure that we can offer the appropriate courses needed to graduate on time and ensure that the student will meet the A-G requirements.
Once the course plan has been confirmed, the student will be placed on the waiting list. As soon as an opening becomes available, the scholar will be contacted in date order to accept the seat. Scholars will also receive an email. Families have 3 days to accept the seat before we move on to the next student on the list.
According to the charter, students who have a sibling enrolled at e3 Civic High will be given priority on the waiting list when openings are available.