After serving as Chief Impact Officer and Principal of e3 Civic High, Dr. Cheryl James-Ward was recently named CEO/Chief Engagement and Innovation Officer of e3 Civic High a public charter high school located at the San Diego Central Library.
Recognized as one of the nation’s Top 50 most innovative schools in the U.S. by CNN Money, e3 Civic High’s mission and vision is to engage, educate, and empower its learning community to be passionate, life-long learners and civic leaders who are prepared for college, the workforce, and life. “Our work is complex, but our model is simple, says Dr. Ward. Engaging students and families is key to preparing students for life in the 21st Century. Many jobs of the future do not exist so our students will have to leave e3 with skills to be life-long learners and critical thinkers."
Dr. Ward began her professional career as a software engineer for NASA Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena. Her educational experiences include junior high math teacher, Math and Science Director for Cal State Long Beach University Upward Bound Program, vice principal, principal, and Director of Academic Initiatives for the Long Beach Unified School District. She has been a consultant for schools and school districts throughout California and China and tenured professor of eleven years for San Diego State University. Dr. Ward has published numerous articles in various journals, including the International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education, Educational Administration Quarterly, ASCD Principal Leadership, Association of California School Administrators Leadership Journal, National Association of Secondary School Principals, Global Education Review, Voices in the Middle and Education Technology Review. She is the lead author of the book Using Data to Focus Instructional Improvement.
The e3 innovative learning platform offers students:
- A personalized experience that leverages technology to support and enhance learning and teaching
- All students are supported and assessed each year for college, workforce and life readiness
- Students are supported in college and workforce readiness including PSAT and SAT preparation
- 100% of students take the PSAT and SAT and apply to 4 year colleges
- All students are supported through college applications, financial aid and acceptance processes
- Tutoring is available for all e3 students at no cost
- Over 100 course offerings including gaming, college prep, accounting and college level courses (UCSD and PLNU)
- e3 advisors provide college application supports to all e3 students
- All e3 students receive a MacBook Air to take home daily for the school year
- Relevant field trips and renowned guest speakers for real world exposure
- Digital literacy skills and 21st century workforce prep
- Internships for all e3 students
- Focus and supports for wellness and mental health with licensed therapist on campus
- All students & staff use Google Apps for Education in a collaborative learning environment
We are grateful to Dr. Griffith for her seven years of leadership and leaving the school well positioned to innovate and support our e3 learning community with Dr. Ward’s leadership” says Matt Spathas, Board Chair of e3 Civic High.