Hello e3 Family:
e3 Civic High is deeply committed to the inclusion of all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, heritage, national origin, immigration status, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, or disability. We believe that America is a compassionate country and that all persons should be fully supported in that context.
One educational program in particular epitomizes our values of access and success for all scholars. This very special program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), has provided support to young people who were brought to this country as children, not under their own volition. It was established via executive order by the previous presidential administration to provide a fair and practical way for these young people to be treated. Most of these young people have only known the United States of America as their home and they have prospered in the many endeavors they have pursued in our great educational systems, including schools, community colleges, and universities. Our educational organization enrolls DACA scholars and we are proud of them.
On yesterday morning, the President of the United States ordered the elimination of the DACA program, announcing that the administration will “initiate a wind down process,” thereby creating “a time period for Congress to act – should it so choose.” We have heard that this will be a period of six months, but we need to confirm that, as well as the process Congress will follow. We will join efforts with those that are working to restore this important program. Up-to-date information will be posted for students and employees, as we receive it on our website, www.e3civichigh.com.
DACA students are called “Dreamers” in view of their relationship to the DREAM Act, proposed legislation that would codify the provisions of the executive order that established DACA. These Dreamers are among the best and brightest scholars and they have bright futures ahead of them. We want all DACA scholars, the Dreamers, to know that all members of the e3 family will do everything in our power to help them during this difficult time. Here are some of the things that DACA scholars can look forward to:
- Mr. Smith, from our Wellness team will schedule legal workshops as soon as possible so that DACA scholars can learn about their rights and seek legal protection.
- We will use the “wind down” period toward the effective start of the elimination process to advocate strongly to the members of Congress to pass the DREAM Act and put in place a replacement program for DACA, with as many of the same provisions as possible. We will begin our advocacy immediately.
- We will encourage our local legislators and community leaders to lend their support to this effort as well.
We want all scholars and our community to know that the e3 Civic High Board of Trustees, the CEO/Executive Director, and our entire faculty and staff stand behind the overall policies and procedures we have adopted for all of our scholars during these difficult times. Let me refresh our memory of what we stand to do:
We remind everyone that the Constitution applies to everyone within the United States, no matter their citizenship or visa status. Certain rights, like the right to remain silent and not answer questions asked by police or immigration authorities, apply to everyone.
As a public charter school, we work diligently to ensure that all scholars have full access to an education and are protected from pressures and intrusive actions that would disrupt or impair their education. Our school complies with all Federal and State laws governing the privacy of student records including the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), as well as AB 540 and the California DREAM Act which exempt undocumented and out-of-state students who completed high school in California from non-resident tuition. For more information about the California DREAM Act, visit: https://dream.csac.ca.gov/.
As part of our compliance with Federal and State laws and regulations, we want you to know that e3 Civic High:
- Will encourage scholars to meet with our wellness team members (Ms. Colon, Ms. Couperus, Mr. Smith) in order to share concerns;
- Will not allow federal immigration officials on campus absent legal authority;
- Will not act on behalf of federal agencies to enforce immigration laws or aid in deportation;
- Does not share student records containing confidential information without written consent; a court order or other legal mandate; and
- Staff will not participate in any voluntary program of immigration enforcement.
We remain deeply committed to all of our scholars and will do everything we can to ensure their success and safety. This is a troubling period in our history, and we will do everything in our power to win back the values and ideals that made our country a beacon of hope and opportunity for the entire world. We vow to continue to take care of you and your time at e3 to ensure a strong finish.
Much love and respect,
Dr. Helen V. Griffith
e3 Civic High